Whale Large Capital
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing

Whale Large Capital

Politics

Venezuela arrests more Americans as Trump ramps up pressure on Maduro: report

by December 31, 2025
December 31, 2025
Venezuela arrests more Americans as Trump ramps up pressure on Maduro: report

The number of American citizens arrested and held in Venezuela has risen in recent months, according to a new report.

Several Americans have been detained by Venezuelan security forces as the Trump administration stepped up efforts to isolate President Nicolás Maduro, including sanctions enforcement and an expanded military presence in the Caribbean, The New York Times reported.

A U.S. official familiar with the matter, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the outlet that while some detainees face what Venezuelan authorities describe as legitimate criminal charges, Washington is considering designating at least two Americans as ‘wrongfully detained.’

.’

This can speed up diplomatic efforts to secure their release.

Those arrested currently are said to include three Venezuelan-American dual nationals and two U.S. citizens with no known ties to Venezuela, the official told the outlet.

Maduro’s government has long been accused by U.S. officials and critics of using detained foreign nationals as leverage in negotiations with the U.S.

President Trump has made the release of Americans held overseas a priority during both of his presidencies. During his first term, he followed a campaign of maximum pressure against Maduro.

On his return to office in January, Trump also sent envoy Richard Grenell to Caracas to push for a prisoner agreement.

Grenell met Maduro in person and was tasked with securing the return of detained Americans, announcing he was bringing home six who had been imprisoned, per Reuters.

In May, Venezuela also released a U.S. Air Force veteran who had been detained for roughly six months. 

Joseph St Clair, who served in Afghanistan, had traveled to South America for treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder.

In July, as reported by Fox News Digital, 10 more Americans and U.S. permanent residents were released after a prisoner swap that saw more than 250 Venezuelans held in El Salvador also returned home. The U.S. State Department confirmed that release on July 18, 2025.

‘Our commitment to the American people is clear: we will safeguard the well-being of U.S. nationals both at home and abroad and not rest until all Americans being held hostage or unjustly detained around the world are brought home,’ Secretary of State Marco Rubio said at the time.

.

That diplomatic push led to talks between U.S. and Venezuelan officials and resulted in the release of at least 16 American citizens and permanent residents by mid-2025.

Those negotiations were later suspended as the administration shifted toward broader pressure.

The U.S. began expanding sanctions enforcement, redeploying naval assets to the Caribbean, and increased operations targeting vessels allegedly linked to drug-trafficking networks tied to Maduro’s regime.

Meanwhile, the New York Times reported Wednesday that among those Americans currently reported missing is James Luckey-Lange, 28, of Staten Island, New York, who went missing after crossing Venezuela’s southern border in early December.

Luckey-Lange is the son of musician Diane Luckey, known as Q Lazzarus.

Another former detainee, Renzo Huamanchumo Castillo, a Peruvian-American, told the outlet he was arrested last year and accused of terrorism and plotting to kill Mr. Maduro.

‘We realized afterward, I was just a token,’ he said. He was released in the July prisoner swap after months of harsh detention.

At least two others with U.S. ties remain imprisoned, according to their families: Aidel Suarez, a U.S. permanent resident born in Cuba, and Jonathan Torres Duque, a Venezuelan-American, according to reporting by The New York Times.

The exact number of newly detained Americans has not been publicly disclosed by U.S. officials.

Fox News Digital has reached out to the Department of State for comment.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Treasury targets oil traders, tankers accused of helping Maduro evade U.S. sanctions
next post
DOJ outlines 10 ‘wins’ under Trump, says agency restored after Biden era

You may also like

State Dept upgrades travel advisory for El Salvador,...

April 10, 2025

Trump calls for nuclear experts to work on...

February 5, 2026

Back from Alaska, Trump starts week with crucial...

August 18, 2025

Trump declines to commit to two-state solution after...

October 14, 2025

New book exposes Jill Biden’s power grab amid...

July 8, 2025

Tesla robots visit Capitol Hill amid anti-DOGE protests,...

March 27, 2025

Russell Vought confirmed to head government’s leading budget...

February 7, 2025

Lindsey Graham says ‘strong consensus’ to protect Kurds...

January 25, 2026

GOP lawmakers push Trump to recognize West Bank...

February 25, 2025

Trump secures record-shattering $1.4B for political war chest;...

June 27, 2025

    Subscribe today to receive exclusive access to all our retirement secrets and income strategies, including special financial news and updates from our experts. From time to time, our newsletters feature valuable insights and analysis on the latest financial trends. Don't miss out on these exclusive updates – join our subscription to stay informed!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.



    Latest

    • Taiwan ‘will not escalate, but will not yield’ to Chinese intimidation, foreign minister warns

      February 16, 2026
    • Corporate America has decided that DEI needs to DIE

      February 16, 2026
    • Partial government shutdown drags on as DHS funding talks stall

      February 16, 2026
    • Iran says US must ‘prove they want to do a deal’ on nuclear talks in Geneva

      February 16, 2026
    • Man who burned Quran in London may get US asylum as case draws Trump administration attention

      February 16, 2026
    • DAVID MARCUS: Trump hits the links with a chance to bring in an ace

      February 15, 2026

    Categories

    • Business (850)
    • Investing (661)
    • Politics (7,487)
    • World News (3,213)

    Disclaimer: WhaleLargeCapital.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 whalelargecapital.com | All Rights Reserved