Whale Large Capital
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing

Whale Large Capital

World News

British monarchy will receive around $118 million in government funding, annual report shows

by June 30, 2025
June 30, 2025
British monarchy will receive around $118 million in government funding, annual report shows

The British Royal Household released its financial statement on Monday, revealing that the annual lump sum from the government remained at £86.3 million ($118.50 million).

The sum, called the Sovereign Grant, pays for the upkeep of royal palaces and the royals’ official duties and is funded by British taxpayer money. In return, the monarch hands over all profits from the Crown Estate — which includes vast swathes of central London property, the Ascot Racecourse and the seabed around England, Wales and Northern Ireland — to the government, in an arrangement dating back to 1760.

The Sovereign Grant functions like an expense account for the monarch and their representatives, covering the costs of their public duties, including travel, staff, and upkeep of historic properties. Notably, it excludes funding for security, which also incurs a high cost given the royals’ numerous public engagements and events.

Royal family members undertook more than “1,900 public engagements in the UK and overseas, while more than 93,000 guests attended 828 events at Official Royal Palaces,” the annual Sovereign Grant Report said.

The total grant of £86.3 million ($118.50 million), which by law remains the same as the three previous financial years, is comprised of a £51.8 million ($71.1 million), core grant and £34.5 million ($47.4 million) to fund the refurbishment of Buckingham Palace.

Buckingham Palace, a top tourist attraction in central London, is undergoing a major modernization project that will see upgrades to electric cabling, pipework, elevators and accessible bathrooms.

The royal family will decommission the royal train “following a thorough review into its use and value for money,” according to the accounts report. The monarchy has been using its own rail travel since Queen Victoria first boarded a specially built carriage from Slough, England, to London Paddington Station in 1842.

The report also said the Royal Household will increase its use of sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) and continue the electrification of its fleet of vehicles.

Last year, the Royal Household announced it aimed to transition to an “almost fully electric” fleet of vehicles, without providing a target date. Britain’s PA Media reported that the King’s two Bentleys would be modified to run on biofuel.

The royal family’s three main sources of income are the Sovereign Grant, the Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall estates and their personal property and investments.

The level of funding for the British royal family has long fueled criticism, with one anti-monarchy group calling for the Sovereign Grant to be abolished and for the British public to keep all the profits of the Crown Estate.

“The grant system is mad. Funding goes up not because of any need for extra money, but because the grant is linked to government profits from land managed by the Crown Estate,” Graham Smith, a campaigner for the group Republic, said in a statement earlier this year. “The palace has recycled the excuse of needing the money for refurbishment of Buckingham Palace, an excuse used to double the grant ten years ago.”

“It’s time that half a billion pounds was put to good use, that there was proper accounting for the cost of the monarchy and for that cost to be slashed to just a few million pounds,” Smith added.

The Keeper of the Privy Purse, James Chalmers, said in a statement on Monday as the report was released: “Soft power is hard to measure but its value is, I believe, now firmly understood at home and abroad, as the core themes of the new reign have come into even sharper focus, and the Royal Family have continued in their service to the nation, Realms and Commonwealth.”

This post appeared first on cnn.com
0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Mexican authorities discover 20 bodies, some decapitated, on Sinaloa highway
next post
Home Depot is buying GMS for about $4.3 billion as retailer chases more home pros

You may also like

Hamas to release three Israeli men Saturday in...

February 7, 2025

Knife attack in Mulhouse, France, leaves one dead

February 22, 2025

Just 1 in 5 women are employed in...

February 6, 2025

Inside a struggling Ukraine mine, Trump’s mineral deal...

February 28, 2025

Russian court hands long jail terms to Ukrainian...

March 26, 2025

Why Israel captured Syria’s tallest mountain just hours...

December 14, 2024

Germany’s far-right party AfD set to win one...

September 1, 2024

US cardinal accused of covering up sex abuse...

April 24, 2025

Tourist trampled to death by elephant while reportedly...

January 31, 2025

In notorious Salvadoran prison, US deportees live in...

April 8, 2025

    Subscribe today to receive exclusive access to all our retirement secrets and income strategies, including special financial news and updates from our experts. From time to time, our newsletters feature valuable insights and analysis on the latest financial trends. Don't miss out on these exclusive updates – join our subscription to stay informed!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.



    Latest

    • Iran says US must ‘prove they want to do a deal’ on nuclear talks in Geneva

      February 16, 2026
    • Man who burned Quran in London may get US asylum as case draws Trump administration attention

      February 16, 2026
    • DAVID MARCUS: Trump hits the links with a chance to bring in an ace

      February 15, 2026
    • Schumer says Dems will fight voter ID push ‘tooth and nail,’ balks at DHS role in elections

      February 15, 2026
    • Hillary Clinton clashes with Czech leader over Trump policies at Munich security conference

      February 15, 2026
    • The one sentence in Rubio’s Munich speech that revealed Trump’s red line for Europe

      February 15, 2026

    Categories

    • Business (850)
    • Investing (661)
    • Politics (7,484)
    • World News (3,213)

    Disclaimer: WhaleLargeCapital.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 whalelargecapital.com | All Rights Reserved