Whale Large Capital
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing

Whale Large Capital

World News

The Middle East may have backed off from the brink of a regional war – for now

by August 25, 2024
August 25, 2024
The Middle East may have backed off from the brink of a regional war – for now

For nearly a month, people in Lebanon and Israel braced for a wider war. A deadly rocket strike from Lebanon last month on the town of Majdal Shams in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights was followed by an Israeli retaliatory strike that killed Hezbollah’s top commander in southern Beirut.

The powerful Iran-backed group vowed to respond. The threat triggered a slew of flight cancelations on both sides of the border, a chorus of governments imploring their citizens to leave Lebanon and Israel, and a breathless diplomatic effort to avert an escalation that Western governments feared would spark a regional conflict.

On Sunday morning, Hezbollah said it had delivered its anticipated response by launching hundreds of drones and Katyusha rockets, Soviet-era short-range projectiles.

The swarm of airborne weapons, it said, sought to overwhelm Israel’s vaunted air defense systems and pave a path for its targets: 11 Israeli military sites in northern Israel and the occupied Golan Heights. Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said all of Hezbollah’s drone’s were intercepted.

Israeli officials said that it had pre-emptively struck Hezbollah targets overnight to prevent a much wider attack, saying it hit many rocket launchers in Lebanon.

Three people were killed in those Israeli attacks, according to the Lebanese Ministry of Health, which does not distinguish between civilians and combatants.

The cross-border fire on Sunday morning marked a significant escalation after 11 months of hostilities between Hezbollah and Israel. But it appears to have dampened fears of a wider war, for now.

In Israel, authorities soon lifted security restrictions in the country’s northern-most territory, known as the upper Galilee. In Lebanon, Hezbollah said it had concluded attacks on Israel for the day.

This signals the resumption of the low-intensity conflict at the border. It also seems to mark the conclusion of the anticipated Lebanese escalation that brought the Middle East, once again, to the brink of all-out war. Hezbollah has said this was the “first phase” of its response but has been scant on the details of a follow-up. The phrase may be rhetorical – the group is prone to keeping its threats open-ended.

But while Hezbollah’s promised response appears to be largely out of the way, Israel must continue to wait for another threat to transpire: Iran’s vowed “revenge” for the killing of Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran, which it blamed on Israel.

A region on a knife’s edge

After the attacks in Beirut and Tehran at the end of last month, Western and Israeli intelligence officials, diplomats and analysts scrambled to figure out what the retaliations promised by Iran and its most powerful non-state partner might look like.

It sparked shuttle diplomacy with the United States, the United Kingdom and France urging Hezbollah and Iran to exercise restraint. This appeared to expedite another round of talks over a ceasefire and hostage release deal in Gaza, in a bid to ward off another escalation by the Iran-led axis, which has repeatedly conditioned stopping its attacks on Israel and its allies on an end to the Israeli offensive in Gaza.

The talks to end the war continue to move at a glacial pace, despite intense diplomatic efforts by the US. But the latest escalation has shown that neither Iran nor its allied non-state fighting groups in the region can stomach the prospect of a wider war.

Hezbollah had repeatedly vowed to retaliate to any Israeli strike in Beirut with an attack on major urban centers in Israel. Yet, whether by design or due to Israel’s claimed pre-emptive strikes, it fell short of that threat. Its stated targets remain within the border area that has been the site of the hostilities since October and the short-range Soviet-era rockets it used have been a mainstay of Hezbollah’s attacks on Israeli forces for decades.

The risk of an all-out conflict appears to be significantly lower in the aftermath of Sunday’s cross-fire. Yet Iran’s open-ended threat will continue to contribute to the war of nerves that has defined much of the low-grade conflict between the Tehran-led axis and Israel, and the region will remain on a knife’s edge for as long as the war in Gaza goes on.

This post appeared first on cnn.com
0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Microsoft plans September cybersecurity event to discuss changes after CrowdStrike outage
next post
Netanyahu vows more ‘surprise blows’ after Israel thwarted ‘thousands’ of Hezbollah rockets: ‘Not the end’

You may also like

Typhoon Yagi: Asia’s most powerful storm submerges parts of...

September 13, 2024

Israel says it is prepared for any retaliatory...

August 24, 2024

Landslide at landfill in Uganda’s capital kills 17...

August 11, 2024

Germany tows disabled Russian ‘shadow fleet’ tanker adrift...

January 11, 2025

A rejuvenated railway could change how minerals move...

November 4, 2024

‘Our dreams were falling down the mountain’: American...

October 10, 2024

Venezuela’s Maduro calls US deportation of migrants to...

March 20, 2025

The Israeli military has used Palestinians as human...

October 24, 2024

An Israeli operation hit Iran’s nuclear program and...

June 13, 2025

The UK thinks weight loss drugs could ease...

November 18, 2024

    Subscribe today to receive exclusive access to all our retirement secrets and income strategies, including special financial news and updates from our experts. From time to time, our newsletters feature valuable insights and analysis on the latest financial trends. Don't miss out on these exclusive updates – join our subscription to stay informed!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.



    Latest

    • South Korean court rules ex‑President Yoon Suk Yeol guilty in insurrection trial

      February 19, 2026
    • Grandmother tells Trump critics to ‘get off the man’s back’ during White House Black History Month event

      February 19, 2026
    • US thwarted near-catastrophic prison break of 6,000 ISIS fighters in Syria

      February 19, 2026
    • Trump convenes first ‘Board of Peace’ meeting as Gaza rebuild hinges on Hamas disarmament

      February 19, 2026
    • Trump marks Black History Month, announces Medal of Freedom for Carson and praises Nicki Minaj

      February 19, 2026
    • Rubio holding secret talks with Raul Castro’s grandson over Cuba’s future: report

      February 19, 2026

    Categories

    • Business (852)
    • Investing (661)
    • Politics (7,534)
    • World News (3,213)

    Disclaimer: WhaleLargeCapital.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 whalelargecapital.com | All Rights Reserved