Whale Large Capital
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing

Whale Large Capital

Business

Starbucks CEO is out after just over a year, replaced by Chipotle’s CEO

by August 14, 2024
August 14, 2024
Starbucks CEO is out after just over a year, replaced by Chipotle’s CEO

Starbucks is replacing its CEO with the head of Chipotle as it seeks to revive flagging sales and appease outside investors.

Starbucks announced Tuesday morning that Brian Niccol, who has led the burrito chain since 2018, will take over the coffee giant starting next month.

Laxman Narasimhan, who took over as Starbucks’ CEO in March 2023, is leaving the company.

People outside a Starbucks in Los Angeles on July 12, 2022. –Frederic J. Brown / AFP via Getty Images file

Starbucks’ stock closed more than 24% higher, while Chipotle shares fell more than 7%.

Starbucks has struggled this year, hurt by weak sales in the U.S. and China. It had also faced increasing customer complaints about declining service quality and rising prices. It had recently come under pressure from so-called activist investors who’d purchased large stakes to force changes. Starbucks shares were down nearly 20% this year before Tuesday’s trading session.

Chipotle has faced similar gripes: It raised prices this year and also confronted a wave of social media criticism over uneven portion sizes. But Chipotle has better weathered those issues, recently reporting strong earnings that bucked a broader industry slowdown. Heading into Tuesday, its stock was up over 20% this year.

In its release announcing the change, Starbucks said Niccol had ‘transformed’ Chipotle.

‘His focus on people and culture, brand, menu innovation, operational excellence, and digital transformation have set new standards in the industry and driven significant growth and value creation,’ Starbucks said. It added that Chipotle’s stock price had increased nearly 800% during his tenure, ‘all while increasing wages for retail team members, expanding benefits, and strengthening the culture.’

Mellody Hobson, who stepped down as Starbucks’ chair to become lead independent director as part of Tuesday’s leadership shake-up, told CNBC on Tuesday that the board had been thinking about replacing Narasimhan for several months.

“Our board, a couple months ago, started to engage in a conversation about the leadership of the company, and I made an overture through someone to Brian, and he took the call,” Hobson said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.” “We thought we had the opportunity to engage with one of the biggest names in the industry, someone whose track record is just clearly proven, not only through the spectacular results that he’s had at Chipotle, but also before that at Pizza Hut and Taco Bell. He knows this industry, and we thought he would be the right leader for this moment.”

Hobson acknowledged that Narasimhan faced some challenges coming into Starbucks without restaurant experience but added that he helped decrease turnover and address supply chain issues. However, it appears that the board has more confidence that Niccol will be able to turn the business around quickly.

“What we saw with Brian was someone who’s, quite honestly, been there, done that — through all sorts of market environments, all sorts of cycles. When I talked to him, I remember him saying, ‘I know what to do,’” Hobson said.

In a statement, Starbucks chairman emeritus and former CEO Howard Schultz, who had been critical of the company’s recent performance, praised the change.

“Having followed Brian’s leadership and transformation journey at Chipotle, I’ve long admired his leadership impact,’ Schultz said. ‘His retail excellence and track record in delivering extraordinary shareholder value recognizes the critical human element it takes to lead a culture and values driven enterprise. I believe he is the leader Starbucks needs at a pivotal moment in its history. He has my respect and full support.”

Starbucks Chief Financial Officer Rachel Ruggeri will step in as interim chief executive until Sept. 9, when Niccol officially takes over the top job.

Chipotle Chief Operating Officer Scott Boatwright will serve as interim CEO of the burrito chain. Chipotle CFO Jack Hartung, who had planned to retire next year, will stay on as president of strategy, finance and supply chain.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS
0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Germany closes military base over suspicion water supply was sabotaged
next post
Murdoch family battle highlights Nevada’s secret trust boom

You may also like

Lucid CEO says Wall Street misinterpreted $1.75 billion...

October 22, 2024

Robinhood app says SEC dismissed crypto investigation in...

February 24, 2025

Father and son fraudsters sentenced in case of...

May 14, 2025

‘Eat now, pay later’? DoorDash-Klarna deal fuels concerns...

March 25, 2025

What’s Turo? The ‘Airbnb of cars’ was used...

January 3, 2025

Disney to pay $10 million to settle FTC...

September 4, 2025

UPS shares tank 15% after weak guidance, plan...

January 31, 2025

Amazon’s $4 billion investment in AI firm Anthropic...

August 9, 2024

Wealthy investors find opportunities in stock market sell-offs

August 12, 2024

Amazon workers must return to office full time,...

September 17, 2024

    Subscribe today to receive exclusive access to all our retirement secrets and income strategies, including special financial news and updates from our experts. From time to time, our newsletters feature valuable insights and analysis on the latest financial trends. Don't miss out on these exclusive updates – join our subscription to stay informed!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.



    Latest

    • Trump jokes about Nobel Prize at inaugural Board of Peace meeting, says Norway to host Gaza aid gathering

      February 19, 2026
    • Trump says US contributing $10B to Board of Peace, Iran must reach nuclear deal or ‘bad things happen’

      February 19, 2026
    • Trump White House ballroom proposal gets approval by Commission of Fine Arts

      February 19, 2026
    • Epstein probe leader Comer says ‘no one is above the law’ after ex-Prince Andrew arrest

      February 19, 2026
    • DAVID MARCUS: How Stephen Colbert conned Dem donors and burned Jasmine Crockett

      February 19, 2026
    • HHS wipes out 36,000 pages of ‘regulatory dark matter’ in sweeping child welfare office purge

      February 19, 2026

    Categories

    • Business (852)
    • Investing (661)
    • Politics (7,541)
    • World News (3,213)

    Disclaimer: WhaleLargeCapital.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 whalelargecapital.com | All Rights Reserved