Whale Large Capital
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing

Whale Large Capital

Politics

State Department cries false over WSJ report claiming US offered Venezuela’s Maduro amnesty

by August 12, 2024
August 12, 2024
State Department cries false over WSJ report claiming US offered Venezuela’s Maduro amnesty

The State Department on Monday denied a Wall Street Journal report that claimed the Biden administration had offered Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro amnesty in exchange for him stepping down from his 11-year reign.

‘That is not true,’ Principal Deputy Spokesperson Vedant Patel told reporters during the question-and-answer portion of a press briefing Monday. ‘We have not made any offers to Maduro or others since this election.’

Patel’s comments were in stark contrast to claims made by ‘three people familiar with the Biden administration deliberation[s]’ regarding secret meetings held in Doha, Qatar in June and September 2023 between the U.S. and Venezuela, according to the Wall Street Journal report.

Details following the meetings have been scarce, though reports released last year indicated that chief adviser to Maduro, Jorge Rodríguez, and the White House National Security Council’s former senior director for the Western Hemisphere, Juan González, met at least twice to discuss an array of issues on top of the alleged amnesty proposal, including sanctions relief, according to a document posted by Maduro to X. The U.S., however, has never verified this information. 

The Wall Street Journal report further suggested that Maduro’s top officers facing judicial indictments over offenses relating to charges of conspiring to export cocaine to the U.S., could also see amnesty agreements. 

The State Department did not return Fox News Digital’s questions regarding the Wall Street Journal report, though a spokesperson for the White House National Security Council echoed the department’s claims.

‘Since the July 28 election, we have not made any specific offers of amnesty to Nicolás Maduro or others,’ Director of Strategic Communications and Assistant Spokesperson to the National Security Council Vanessa Vidal Castellanos told Fox News Digital.  

‘In coordination with our partners, we are considering a range of options to incentivize and pressure Maduro to recognize the election results and will continue to do so, but the responsibility is on Maduro and the Venezuela’s electoral authorities to come clean on the election results,’ she added. 

According to the report, an amnesty proposal was allegedly floated as a way to incentivize Maduro to step down before his term was set to end.

But Maduro was reportedly unwilling to ‘discuss arrangements where he would have to leave office’ — a position he has only doubled-down on since the national election last month.

Despite international calls for the Venezuelan president to step aside amid mounting evidence that shows he lost to opposition leader Edmundo González, Maduro has refused to relinquish his power. 

Secretary of State Antony Blinken echoed those calls last week and said, ‘In the days since the election, we have consulted widely with partners and allies around the world, and while countries have taken different approaches in responding, none have concluded that Nicolás Maduro received the most votes this election.’

‘Given the overwhelming evidence, it is clear to the United States and, most importantly, to the Venezuelan people that Edmundo González Urrutia won the most votes in Venezuela’s July 28 presidential election.’

The UN General Assembly has offered to mediate the election results as a third party to resolve the growing unrest in Venezuela.

Despite mounting pressure to step down, Maduro’s regime has arrested thousands of protesters and dissidents, maintained military loyalty and has elected the pro-Maduro Supreme Court to resolve any election disputes. 

Maduro’s position on leaving office is reported to be ‘unchanged.’

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Iran beware: US moves these 6 top of the line strike options into position in the Middle East
next post
Conservative watchdog notches win in court as CDC ordered to stop deleting emails

You may also like

Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. suspends...

August 23, 2024

New ‘insulting’ Harris ad targets Black men’s love...

October 20, 2024

Jeffrey Epstein case reopens focus on Ghislaine Maxwell...

July 22, 2025

‘Did not expect that’: GOP Rep Luna speaks...

October 14, 2024

Multiple outbursts erupt at RFK Jr hearing: ‘You...

January 29, 2025

Trump’s ‘big, beautiful bill’ heads to House-wide vote...

May 22, 2025

Trump report card: Conservative and liberal analysts reveal...

March 4, 2025

White House explains bruise on Trump’s hand seen...

February 26, 2025

European officials dismiss claim world leaders ‘are laughing’...

September 29, 2024

MARK HALPERIN: The great debate: Is Donald Trump cool?

January 29, 2025

    Subscribe today to receive exclusive access to all our retirement secrets and income strategies, including special financial news and updates from our experts. From time to time, our newsletters feature valuable insights and analysis on the latest financial trends. Don't miss out on these exclusive updates – join our subscription to stay informed!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.



    Latest

    • Congress races against 3-week deadline to tackle massive year-end legislative agenda

      November 30, 2025
    • State Department warns UK over grooming gang handling: ‘Unspeakable abuse’

      November 29, 2025
    • MIKE DAVIS: After Trump case collapses, time for Fani Willis to lawyer up

      November 29, 2025
    • Northwestern to pay $75M in federal civil-rights deal after antisemitism probes

      November 29, 2025
    • Trump to void all documents allegedly signed by Biden via autopen, threatens perjury charge

      November 28, 2025
    • Campbell’s fires executive accused of racist remarks and labeling food for ‘poor people’

      November 28, 2025

    Categories

    • Business (831)
    • Investing (661)
    • Politics (6,461)
    • World News (3,213)
    • Terms & Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact us
    • About us

    Disclaimer: WhaleLargeCapital.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2025 WhaleLargeCapital.com | All Rights Reserved