Whale Large Capital
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Investing

Whale Large Capital

Business

Stellantis laying off 2,450 plant workers due to discontinuation of Ram ‘Classic’ pickup truck

by August 10, 2024
August 10, 2024
Stellantis laying off 2,450 plant workers due to discontinuation of Ram ‘Classic’ pickup truck

DETROIT — Automaker Stellantis plans to indefinitely lay off up to 2,450 U.S. factory workers later this year as it discontinues production of an older version of its Ram 1500 pickup truck in Michigan.

The truck has been largely used as a low-cost pickup to sell to entry-level buyers and fleet customers since the automaker introduced a new generation of the Ram 1500 in 2018. It is produced alongside the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer at the Warren Truck Assembly Plant, located near Detroit.

The current Ram 1500, which was recently updated for the 2025 model year, is produced at a nearby plant. Operations at that facility will continue as planned.

“With the introduction of the new Ram 1500, production of the Ram 1500 Classic at the Warren [Michigan] Truck Assembly Plant will come to an end later this year,” the company said in an emailed statement.

The discontinuation of the Ram 1500 “Classic” vehicle is not unexpected, but the company has not announced a vehicle to replace the truck. That is concerning for local governments, workers and the United Auto Workers union, which represents the plant.

A spokesman for the union did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment.

Ram CEO Chris Feuell told CNBC last week that the “Classic” version of the pickup would be phased out by the end of this year.

ThWe’ll e layoffs are expected to start as soon as October. The final number of indefinite layoffs at the Warren plant, which currently employs about 3,700 hourly workers, may be lower than the announced numbers. Some employees may be given other jobs or positions at other plants.

The layoffs are the latest for Stellantis, which has cut production at several plants amid sales issues and cost-cutting measures.

Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares has been on a cost-cutting mission since the company was formed through a merger between Fiat Chrysler and France’s PSA Groupe in January 2021. It is part of his “Dare Forward 2030” plan to increase profits and double revenue to 300 billion euros, or $325 billion, by 2030.

The automaker last week offered a broad voluntary buyout to U.S. salaried workers in an effort to reduce headcount and costs. Stellantis, which reported disappointing first-half results last month, said if not enough employees participate in the buyout, involuntary terminations could follow. 

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS
0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
‘Doing the least obvious thing’: Ukraine embarrasses Putin with surprise assault on southern Russia
next post
RFK Jr. claims to have enough signatures to appear on ballot in all 50 states

You may also like

DirecTV is pushing its pay TV bundle —...

August 13, 2024

More than 28% of Americans are searching for...

August 22, 2024

Starbucks imposes new limits on what baristas can...

April 23, 2025

More than 1,000 Starbucks workers strike at 65...

November 15, 2025

Trump demands resignation of Intel CEO over alleged...

August 7, 2025

Lowe’s becomes latest company to dial back DEI...

August 29, 2024

U.S. farm agency allows six more states to...

August 5, 2025

Elon Musk is $70 billion richer since Trump...

November 13, 2024

AI detects sound of frog species threatened in...

August 28, 2025

Customers sue sneaker company On over shoes that...

October 20, 2025

    Subscribe today to receive exclusive access to all our retirement secrets and income strategies, including special financial news and updates from our experts. From time to time, our newsletters feature valuable insights and analysis on the latest financial trends. Don't miss out on these exclusive updates – join our subscription to stay informed!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.



    Latest

    • Congress races against 3-week deadline to tackle massive year-end legislative agenda

      November 30, 2025
    • State Department warns UK over grooming gang handling: ‘Unspeakable abuse’

      November 29, 2025
    • MIKE DAVIS: After Trump case collapses, time for Fani Willis to lawyer up

      November 29, 2025
    • Northwestern to pay $75M in federal civil-rights deal after antisemitism probes

      November 29, 2025
    • Trump to void all documents allegedly signed by Biden via autopen, threatens perjury charge

      November 28, 2025
    • Campbell’s fires executive accused of racist remarks and labeling food for ‘poor people’

      November 28, 2025

    Categories

    • Business (831)
    • Investing (661)
    • Politics (6,461)
    • World News (3,213)
    • Terms & Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact us
    • About us

    Disclaimer: WhaleLargeCapital.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2025 WhaleLargeCapital.com | All Rights Reserved